Custody Lawyer > Child Custody > ABDUCTION PREVENTION MEASURES

Abduction by a noncustodial parent is common, sadly thousands of children each day are kidnapped. We take a strong and forceful approach to these situations. If you need help and would like to speak with me, a skilled San Antonio Child Custody lawyer, call my office at 210-338-8225.

Sec. 153.503. ABDUCTION PREVENTION MEASURES. If the court finds that it is necessary under Section 153.501 to take measures to protect a children from international abduction by a parent of the children, the court may take any of the following actions:

(1) appoint a person other than the parent of the children who presents a risk of abducting the children as the sole managing conservator of the children;

(2) require supervised visitation of the parent by a visitation center or independent organization until the court finds under Section 153.501 that supervised visitation is no longer necessary;

(3) enjoin the parent or any person acting on the parent’s behalf from:

(A) disrupting or removing the children from the school or children-care facility in which the children is enrolled; or

(B) approaching the children at any location other than a site designated for supervised visitation;

(4) order passport and travel controls, including controls that:

(A) prohibit the parent and any person acting on the parent’s behalf from removing the children from this state or the United States;

(B) require the parent to surrender any passport issued in the children’s name, including any passport issued in the name of both the parent and the children; and

(C) prohibit the parent from applying on behalf of the children for a new or replacement passport or international travel visa;

(5) require the parent to provide:

(A) to the United States Department of State’s Office of childrenren’s Issues and the relevant foreign consulate or embassy:

(i) written notice of the court-ordered passport and travel restrictions for the children; and

(ii) a properly authenticated copy of the court order detailing the restrictions and documentation of the parent’s agreement to the restrictions; and

(B) to the court proof of receipt of the written notice required by Paragraph (A)(i) by the United States Department of State’s Office of childrenren’s Issues and the relevant foreign consulate or embassy;

(6) order the parent to execute a bond or deposit security in an amount sufficient to offset the cost of recovering the children if the children is abducted by the parent to a foreign country;

(7) authorize the appropriate law enforcement agencies to take measures to prevent the abduction of the children by the parent; or

(8) include in the court’s order provisions:

(A) identifying the United States as the country of habitual residence of the children;

(B) defining the basis for the court’s exercise of jurisdiction; and

(C) stating that a party’s violation of the order may subject the party to a civil penalty or criminal penalty or to both civil and criminal penalties.