I can’t tell you how many times a week I get a call and the very first thing the person ask is how come my ex can keep me from knowing how my son is doing in school.
It makes me mad, when non custodial parents blame their lack of involvement in their child’s life on the custodial parent. If you read through this page you will quickly discover that you have a right to know at all times about your son or daughters grades, medical conditions, dental needs & even where they live.
Sec. 153.073. RIGHTS OF PARENT AT ALL TIMES. (a) Unless limited by court order, a parent appointed as a conservator of a child has at all times the right:
(1) to receive information from any other conservator of the child concerning the health, education, and welfare of the child;
(2) to confer with the other parent to the extent possible before making a decision concerning the health, education, and welfare of the child;
(3) of access to medical, dental, psychological, and educational records of the child;
(4) to consult with a physician, dentist, or psychologist of the child;
(5) to consult with school officials concerning the child’s welfare and educational status, including school activities;
(6) to attend school activities;
(7) to be designated on the child’s records as a person to be notified in case of an emergency;
(8) to consent to medical, dental, and surgical treatment during an emergency involving an immediate danger to the health and safety of the child; and
(9) to manage the estate of the child to the extent the estate has been created by the parent or the parent’s family.
(b) The court shall specify in the order the rights that a parent retains at all times.
Remember only a San Antonio child custody attorney can properly advise you on issues such as this.